Elle Severe Presents

Unfinished Business

In Life on August 10, 2012 by Elle Severe

On Thursday June 7 I woke up with something very wrong with me.  I decided to ignore it, went to work and worked a full day.  At some point in the day this thing that was wrong with me got worse and I knew it.  By the end of the day I resolved that if my issue wasn’t gone by the morning I would take care of it.  In the morning the issue was still there and now I had to go see the doctor.  My regular doctor couldn’t figure it out and sent me upstairs to a specialist.  The specialist decided it was nothing, but to be sure, asked me to have some bloodwork done.  I obliged.  After the bloodwork I went home, relieved.  We decided to go to Scituate for the evening.  On our way down, in Quincy, to be specific, I received a call from a nurse at my doctors office that went like this, “Elle Severe? I’ve been trying to get a hold of you. Where are you? Please go to the nearest emergency room, one of the blood tests from earlier is positive”.

By 7pm that evening I was admitted to the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.  I was also the star attraction because the thing that was wrong with me was an uncommon thing.  Not typically, if ever, found in my age group and with absolutely no risk factors.  This thing I had, they were calling it “unprovoked”.  It was serious.  I was scared.  I have a 4 year old little boy and a 2 year old little girl.  I could have died.

I was released the next evening, Saturday, June 9, with a life altering diagnosis.  Not cancer or anything, just something that would need constant care and attention and medication for the next few months.   Something that I would not be able to ignore.   I was scared.  When I get scared, I get mad, when I get mad, I get mean.

I also knew I was going to be at the doctors a lot over the next few weeks.  I knew I was about to see multiple specialists and have my blood drawn almost every other day.  I got irrationally angry that I hadn’t put enough money in our Health Care Flexible Spending Account for all the upcoming co-pays I was about to have.

To put it in perspective, in the first two weeks after my diagnosis, I saw 4 different physicians and had 7 blood draws.  I was at the doctor’s office nearly every day.  By week three I had seen another doctor, had a minor procedure and during one particularly brutal blood draw, had 9 tubes of blood taken.

On Sunday, June 10, the crying began.  Every time I opened mouth to speak I would choke and begin to cry.

I couldn’t stop crying.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

3 Responses to “Unfinished Business”

  1. DrewG. says:

    Well done ELLE! Glad the eyes are opened to the better things to come! Now you are able to see it with newer eyes rather than old prescription lenses!

  2. Brighton says:

    Slow clapping, “Way to go Paula…”

    Cue the music.

Leave a Reply